When we think about our home’s energy efficiency, we often think about our windows and insulation. However, siding can play a big part in your home’s energy efficiency. Older siding and the wrong color and type of siding increase heating and cooling costs. The right new siding can increase its energy efficiency.
How New Fiber Cement Siding Provides Energy Savings
Most homes, especially those built during the building boom of the late 90’s and early 2000’s, don’t meet today’s code for insulation between the walls and the home’s exterior. New fiber cement siding combined with an insulative home wrap reduces heating and cooling. Not only does the insulation contribute to savings but depending on the color siding you choose and what we’re replacing, you could benefit even more.
Energy savings can be enough of a reason to replace your siding. However, if you’re looking for more benefits of new fiber cement siding, there are many. Here are a few more:
- Little maintenance – If you have wood siding, painting and other maintenance can cost a lot in both time and money. Fiber cement siding only needs painting after about 15 years. It also needs little more than the occasional rinsing off when it gets dirty.
- Protection – You won’t have to worry about pests with new fiber cement siding. It also protects better from fire than other types of siding.
- Longer life – Few siding products last as long a fiber cement which can last 50 years or more.
- Longer HVAC life – When your home is better insulated your HVAC system doesn’t run as often. That can mean it will last longer than one that’s constantly cycling on and off to keep your home cool (or warm).
- Increased resale value – Although replacing your siding isn’t something most homeowners do just to sell their home, when the time comes, a home with fiber cement siding will sell for more than one with vinyl or aluminum siding.
- Homeowner’s insurance savings – Many homeowners insurance companies offer a discount to homes with brick, stone and fiber cement because of its wind and fire-resistant nature.
Affordable Replacement Window Systems Installs Siding Too
We’re a James Hardie® installer. If you’re looking for new siding from the industry leader in fiber cement siding, check out the many options from James Hardie. They also have an insulative house wrap that we include in all installations. Call or text us today for your free estimate for your new fiber cement siding today – (817) 264-6509.