The Texas sun can be relentless. Beating down on our homes and shining in through the windows all summer long. How do we keep the sun and the heat out? For many homeowners the answer is to close the blinds or curtains. That blocks the view and darkens your home. Another option is tinted windows.
When purchasing new windows, the measurement of visible light that passes through the window is measured as VT with a 0 being the most light and 1 being the least. If you’re looking for a good replacement window that will block some of the heat of the sun without closing curtains, look for a higher number in the VT section of the window rating sticker.
You Don’t Have to Buy New Windows to Get Them Tinted
There are many do it yourself products and professional companies that will come to your home to add the tint. Keep in mind that there are pros and cons to doing this:
Pros of Window Tinting
- Save on energy costs as less solar heat will keep your AC bills down
- With less UV light passing through your windows, your furniture and rugs won’t fade as quickly
- An added measure of security and safety with window films because the window doesn’t shatter like a window with no film on it
- Enjoy the view without the sun heating the room
Cons of Window Tinting
- It’s hard to install yourself without bubbles and some wasted product
- Cost for a professional company to install it can cost as much as $100 per window
- Some window manufacturers void their warranty with any alteration to the window
As you can see there are both pros and cons to adding an aftermarket tint to your windows. If you choose to do it yourself, be sure to check your window warranty before installing any aftermarket product. Ask a window tinting company about your window warranty and their service if you decide to hire a professional.
For many homeowners who are already in need of new windows, choosing ones with a level of UV protection built in is the most cost effective option. If you are ready for new windows, call Affordable Replacement Window Systems at (817) 264-6509 for your free estimate. We’ll be happy to share with you some of the options we offer with different levels of tinting that may benefit you.